The Golden Temple Of The Sikhs

The Golden Temple Of The Sikhs
The Golden Temple of the Sikhs, in the Punjab region of northwestern India.

The Wagah Border Crossing, one of the most contentious borders in the world. I crossed here and spent an oh-so rewarding week inside Pakistan.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Life Quest: The Burma Road (#1 in series on Myanmar/Burma)







To begin this travelogue properly, I have to go back a ways...quite a ways, to the year 1960 along a rural road in Northeastern Penna.

Many psychologists or life coaches will tell you, influences often are sown into a person's life early on.  The person him/herself may not even realize it for decades.  Such was the case with me when, at about ten years old, I was riding with my father from Lawton, Penna., to Wyalusing along Route 706 and we happened upon a series of signs for something called Burma Shave.



Image result for burma shave


It was a famous advertising campaign of the day:  Five or six signs were spaced about a hundred yards apart and formed a jingle or rhyme.  Books and countless articles have been written about the Burma Shave ads, they've become such a part of Americana.  A few examples:


Image result for burma shave books



Image result for burma shave books


Thousands of such jingles lined the roadways of America 1925-1963.  To the best of my memory, the one along 706 went like this:


                                                  School Zone?
                                                  Take It Slow
                                                   Let The Little Shavers
                                                   Grow
                                                   BURMA SHAVE


Like I say, to the best of my memory.  What I do remember was the advertiser's punch line -- BURMA SHAVE.  Back then I didn't care much about shaving cream, but Burma, what was this Burma thing?  It set me off on a quest, of sorts; reading Burmese Days, the book by George Orwell, practically memorizing Mandalay, the famous poem by Rudyard Kipling, and so on.

The Burma Road especially used to catch my fancy.  It was built by the British through the northern highlands to connect with the Chinese and came to fame in World War II as a supply route into China, an engineering marvel of its time.


Image result for burma road




Image result for burma road
Part of the road circa 1945.



Now fast forward, ohhh, about fifty-five years, and put me at the Tachileik border crossing between northern Thailand and Myanmar/Burma (the name of the country was changed to Myanmar in 1989).

Long closed to through travel, Tachileik lies in the "Golden Triangle" region, notorious in years past for opium production, gem smuggling, roving guerrilla bands, etc.  But now more welcoming because the country is in the process of opening up after decades of isolation.

This past October then, with the proper visa and paperwork in hand, I stood poised to enter this mysterious and seldom visited area...


At the Tachileik border crossing


I'll be doing a series of posts on this through the next few weeks.  Come along with me as I lift the veil on the Shan Highlands of northeastern Myanmar and imprint my size elevens onto the famous Burma Road.



Image result for burma road



[PART TWO TO FOLLOW NEXT WEEK]






No comments:

Post a Comment